Belmullet Tidal Pool, Mayo
The Performance Corporation – Ireland’s award winning, site specific specialists celebrate their 20 year anniversary by embarking on a unique theatrical adventure on a tidal pool on the edge of the island.
Inspired by the landscape and the stories of loss at sea from the region, this new theatrical show will be performed in the stunning surrounds of Belmullet’s tidal pool in County Mayo from 16 – 18 September 2022. Contemporary dancers, a mezzo-soprano and acapella male vocalists create a show filled with heart, hope and humour.
Disappearing Islands is an immersive experience in every sense. The audience is invited to take a communal dip in the tidal pool for the show’s finale – a moment that reflects the sea’s ability to bring people together.
Disappearing Islands is a unique theatrical experience. Staged around a tidal swimming pool that overlooks the beautiful vista of Blacksod Bay, the performance blends theatre, dance and song to magical effect.
With one foot in the waters of the Atlantic, Disappearing Islands explores the deep influence of the sea on this coastal community, from times past to the present day. Here, the ocean is a powerful life-giving force but one that is also associated with tragedy. Through a series of songs and dance choreographies, the play explores our contrasting emotions associated with the sea. In doing so, it touches on themes of environmental and personal loss and ultimately asks if the sea can save us from ourselves.
During their research for Disappearing Islands, the artistic team discovered unexpected inspirations and new connections. They spoke to fishermen, historians, lighthouse keepers, environmentalists and sea swimmers. This research brings an often playful texture to the piece, which takes the audience on a journey across the globe, from the D-Day beaches of Normandy, to the mythical island of Hy Brasil.
Composed by Ellen Cranitch, Written by Tom Swift, Directed by Jo Mangan
Produced by Once Off Productions
Featuring: Naomi Louisa O’ Connell, Isabella Öberlander, Sarah Ryan, CODA – Westport based 7 piece Male Vocal Group.
Costume Design – Sinead Lawlor
Sound Design – Daragh Dukes
Choreography – Isabella Öberlander, Sarah Ryan
Music Consultant – Naomi Louisa O’ Connell
Stage Manager – Michael Greene
Sound Engineer – Kevin Hughes
Script Advisor – Sorcha Hegarty
Producer – Maura O Keeffe`
Line Producer – Tara Clarke
Funded by the Arts Council. Supported by Mayo County Council & Creative Ireland Mayo.
- Times may be subject to change as performances are dependent on tidal activity. Please keep an eye on your inbox once you have booked as if there are any changes, we will email to let you know.
- Please note that this is an outdoor performance and will happen rain or shine. Please make sure to wear weather-appropriate clothing.
- Feel free to bring your own cushion – seating will be on a stone surface.
- Audience members will be invited to take a dip in the pool at the end of the performance – if this is something you’d like to do, please bring your swimwear & towel.
- Please arrive no later than 10 minutes before the performance time as there will be no late admittance.
- The venue is fully wheelchair accessible but there is uneven ground surface – please take extra care under foot
- There is no ISL or audio description available for any of the performances, but we can provide a transcript in advance on request.
- For any booking enquiries please email email@example.com